What Is Application Archiving And Why Should I Care?
Date: 03/11/2017

By Chris Tolhurst

In an environment where pressure on IT costs and budgets is enormous, how can you save on spend and, at the same time, drive extra value from your application data?

How much does your business spend on running IT applications? In most scenarios, about 70 per cent of the IT spend goes to maintaining existing systems - leaving only 30 per cent for investment in new initiatives.

Consider the problems

With increasing pressure to use IT budgets more efficiently, growing compliance obligations, and increasing volumes of data, companies are looking at how they can reduce the operational spend or at least shift the ratios more favourably to allow more focus on innovation.

One of the more compelling but often overlooked ways of doing this is in application archiving.

Application archiving is where we take static or final-state information from an application and move it to an archive. In some scenarios the application is kept active and data is regularly archived (optimisation) while in the others all of the data is archived and the original application is turned off (decommissioning). Application archiving takes a business-focused, application centric view of the information rather than trying to deal with files and tables at the storage layer, making it more complete and business relevant.

Many organisations are operating under a tactical and reactive model for archiving using a number of options such as relying on backups, virtualisation and store, using tiering at the storage layer. Each has its strengths and limitations but as a group also introduce inconsistency and manageability issues.

Find out more about how you can use application archiving to free up infrastructure, reduce costs, manage compliance and derive new value from data all in one place.

If you would like to find out more about Application Archiving click here

The key is to take a holistic approach to application archiving, treating all applications in the same manner, with the same rules, under the same strategy. To support this, solutions need characteristics such as:

  • No data restrictions: caters for structured data, unstructured data and combinations of both (e.g. transactional records, documents, images, audio, video, metadata, combinations of these).
  • Deployment flexibility: on-premise, cloud and hybrid deployment options including cloud storage.
  • Accessibility: ease of access to the information in the archive for the organisation.
  • Centralised compliance & security: One location to manage and apply security and compliance policies.

The Cornerstone Approach

The Cornerstone approach to application archiving is centred on extracting maximum business benefit in the shortest practical time. We do this through a combination of delivery approach, tools/techniques and the archive solution itself. The Opentext InfoArchive solution is the key software component for our application archiving offerings.

If you'd like to discuss getting started on your application archiving journey please contact Chris Tolhurst, Principal Consultant, at chris.tolhurst@cornerstone.com.au or on 0431 702 060.